Part XII Section 125 (1) of the Act establishes NET to review administrative decisions made by NEMA relating to issuance, revocation or denial of licence and conditions of licence. It also provides legal opinion to NEMA on complex matters where the Authority seeks such advice. In addition, the Tribunal has powers to change or give an order and direction regarding environmental issues in dispute.
- The Permanent Secretaries responsible for matters in the First Schedule of the Act, namely: agriculture economic planning and development, education, energy, environment, finance, fisheries, foreign affairs, health, industry, law or law enforcement, local government, natural resources, public administration, public works, research and technology, tourism and water resources;
- Representatives of public universities; specialized research institutions; the business community and non-governmental organizations;
- The Director General NEMA who shall be its Secretary.
- Policy formulation and direction for the purposes of this act
- Set national goals and objectives and determine policies and priorities for the protection of the environment;
- Promote cooperation among public departments, local authorities, private sector, non-governmental organizations and such other organizations engaged in environmental protection programmes;
- Perform such other functions as are assigned under the Act.